Biochemistry is a broad branch of science which involves a wide range of applications and ideas from various scientific fields, mainly from Chemistry, Biology, and Physics. Pursuing a degree in Biochemistry is not necessarily linked with working as a pure Biochemist; Rather, having a degree in Biochemistry grants professionals set of skills and qualities appreciated in different fields including but not limited to Research, Pharmacy, Medicine, Agriculture, Engineering, and Manufacturing.
For further personal and career development, it is essential to find the right workplace considering the individual level of experience. Since Biochemists are professionals appreciated in various scientific fields, there are lots of companies regularly offering jobs to experienced and enthusiastic scientists.
Here is the list of 5 companies repeatedly hiring for Biochemistry jobs in Canada.
Evonik is one of the world’s leading specialty chemicals companies. Operating in over 100 countries, Evonik is geared towards results, profitable growth, and increasing the value of the company. The operations of the company are divided into three chemical manufacturing segments which are the following:
- Nutrition & Care – produces specialty chemicals, generally for use in consumer products for daily needs as well as in animal nutrition and healthcare goods.
- Resource Efficiency – supplies high-performance materials to the automotive, coatings, paints, adhesives, construction industries, and other sectors. These materials are formulated for environment-friendly and energy-efficient systems.
- Performance Materials – produces intermediates, principally for the plastics, rubber, and agricultural industries.
The company expands its growth engines in competitive business areas such as specialty additives, healthcare, smart materials, or animal nutrition. Evonik works closely with external partners and customers through utilizing ambitious goals, inspiring culture (trust, respect, and openness), and a clear strategy.
Operating production plants on six continents and in almost 30 countries, Evonik offers various job opportunities for Biochemistry professionals in Canada an example of which is provided below. You can get further information on current positions at Evonik Canada here.
- Research Associate – Burnaby, British Columbia, CA
Evonik Canada is occasionally seeking for a Research Associate who would perform sample analysis, equipment calibration and method validation, prepare and sign relevant documents and quality control reports, perform general laboratory housekeeping duties, manage chemical and reference standard inventory, order consumables, and lab supplies as needed.
Other responsibilities include:
– Sample preparation;
– Physical and analytical testing (vesicle size, zeta potential, pH, osmolality, TOC, conductivity, HPLC/UPLC);
– Analysis and summarization of results;
– Operation and troubleshooting of equipment issues;
– Review of analytical data packages generated by third-party laboratories (internally and externally);
– Preparation of samples for shipments;
– Initiation and participation in the investigation of equipment System Suitability Failure(s);
– Drafting and revision of SOPs, ACMs, and protocols;
– Preparation of purchase requisitions;
– Other miscellaneous duties, as needed.
The requirements for the position include a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Chemistry or Biochemistry along with a minimum of 3-year experience in the pharmaceutical industry. Moreover, applicants must have experience working with HPLC/UV and HPLC/ELSD. Experience in instrument troubleshooting will be preferred. Knowledge of GMP regulations is a must. Along with that, suitable candidates must have strong written and oral communication skills as well as abilities to multi-task and work in a cooperative environment.
Elanco introduced the first antibiotic exclusively for veterinary use in 1953. Since then, the company has been helping shape the lives of animals and their human companions through the development of innovative solutions for the protection and enhancement of animal health issues. Their goal is to promote animal health since healthy animals play an essential role in the health of people and the environment. The company aims to solve global healthcare, food security, and sustainability challenges starting with animals.
Elanco offers products that improve animal disease management and production efficiency, as well as help pets, live longer and healthier lives with their human companions. Furthermore, the goods produced at Elanco are meant to reduce the environmental impact of livestock production and increase nutrient digestibility utilizing various enzymes, probiotics, and prebiotics.
Operating in over 45 countries around the world, Elanco Canada Limited offers jobs for individuals specializing in Biochemistry. An example of a position offered to a Biochemistry professional is provided below. You can get further details regarding the current job postings at Elanco Canada Limited here.
- Biochemistry Research Scientist – Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, CA
Elanco Canada Limited repeatedly offers a position for a Biochemistry Research Scientist who would conduct research to develop a new chemical formulation and devise new technical applications of industrial chemicals and particular compounds. Moreover, the chosen candidate would act as a professional consultant in a specific field of expertise.
Requirements for the position include a Bachelor’s degree in Biochemistry or a closely related discipline. Moreover, 1 to 2 years of experience is also required. A suitable candidate should be familiar with macromolecular isolation and purification as well ass have experience with analytical techniques including Spectroscopy, Chromatography, and Physical Separation.
Along with that, a perfect candidate should also have personal qualities such as excellent oral and written communication, organizational skills, abilities to work in a team, accuracy, and precision.
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (AAFC) works with farmers and food producers to support growth, development, and enhancement of a competitive, innovative, and sustainable agriculture and agri-food sector utilizing various research programs and technologies. Since agriculture is a shared jurisdiction in Canada, the Department works closely with provincial as well as territorial governments to develop multiple policies and affiliate programs.
The organization repeatedly offers interesting jobs for individuals specializing in Biochemistry several of which are provided as examples below. For further details about the current job opportunities at Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada visit the website.
- Research Scientist – Growing Agricultural Innovation – Locations Across Canada
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada ocassionally offers a position for a Research Scientist who would provide Science and Technology Branch of AAFC with scientific studies responding to the challenges of climate change.
The suitable candidate should be able to contribute to the following goals:
- Increase agro-ecosystem resilience and agriculture’s ability to adapt to climate change through a systems approach.
- Develop clean technologies to improve agriculture’s environmental performance.
- Increase soil, plant, and animal health; Increase productivity.
- Accelerate the identification of superior traits and practices by revolutionizing germplasm development.
- Enhancing risk management and reducing losses for producers.
- Develop agricultural practices to enhance food nutrition; Reduce the impact of antimicrobial resistance.
- Support agriculture and agri-food sector.
Requirements for the job require a doctoral degree in a field of science related to the position (Chemistry, Biology, Biochemistry, Agronomy, Animal or Plant Science, Botany, Biophysics, Ecology, etc.). Applicants who are enrolled in their final year of the Ph.D. program will also be considered.
- Cereal Biotechnology Research Assistant – Research Affiliate Program – Lethbridge, Alberta, CA
The position is repeatedly offered for a graduate student from Canada who is willing to complete the research component of his/her thesis. The chosen candidate will work under the supervision of Dr. John Laurie at the Lethbridge Research and Development Centre.
Duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Perform wheat tissue culture and genetic transformation.
- Vector construction and cloning for gene editing.
- Gene expression analysis using qRT-PCR and RNA-seq.
- Mutant phenotyping.
- Application of standard biology techniques.
Requirements for the position include current enrollment in a Master’s or Ph.D. program with a specialization in Plant Molecular Biology or a related discipline. Moreover, experience working in plant molecular laboratory is necessary.
- Graduate Research Assistant – Research Affiliate Program – Guelph, Ontario, CA
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada regularly offers a job for a Graduate Research Assistant for 2 years, with approximately 17.h hours of work per week. The chosen candidate will work under the supervision of Dr. S. Balamurugan at the Science and Technology Branch in Guelph, Ontario.
Primary duty will be researching to advance knowledge on the following issues:
- Precise UV doses required for inactivation of different pathogens in milk.
- Effect of fat globules, casein micelles, and others.
- Optimal UV-C exposure conditions.
- Biochemical and nutritional characterization of UV-C treated milk compared to raw and thermal pasteurized milk.
Requirements for the position include current enrollment in a Master’s degree program in Food Sciences at the University of Guelph. Moreover, experience in microbial techniques and dairy product formulation is also necessary.
Trillium Health Partners (THP) is Canada’s largest community based and academically affiliated hospital system which comprises Credit Valley Hospital, Mississauga Hospital, and Queensway Health Centre.
The company is relentless in providing high quality, accessible, sustainable, and compassionate care to the community – patients, families, visitors, physicians, staff, and volunteers.
THP regularly offers jobs for individuals specializing in Biochemistry who are motivated to improve the health of the community and value excellence, quality, and patient safety. One of the positions continuously offered at THP is discussed below. To get further information regarding current positions at THP visit the website.
- Laboratory Technologist – Biochemistry Lab – Mississauga, Ontario, CA
Trillium Health Partners regularly offers a job for a Laboratory Technologist at the Biochemistry Lab. The chosen candidate will be responsible for performing routine tests and procedures utilizing Biochemical techniques and methodologies.
Qualifications for the position include the following:
- Graduate of a program for Medical Laboratory Technologist.
- Good standing with Medical Laboratory Technologists of Ontario.
- Experience in assurance and good laboratory practice.
- Practical analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Experience working in Biochemistry Lab.
- Availability for all shifts (days, evenings, nights, weekends).
Custom Biologics is Canada’s leading large and small molecule research organization which provides validation and testing services in support of pre-clinical and clinical stages of pharmaceutical drug development. The company is equipped with high-quality technology and experienced personnel who are committed to engagement with clients’ innovative drug development programs.
The company offers services in several areas, including the following:
– Cell-Based Bioassays – Protein Analytical Characterization
– Ligand Binding Assays – Biomarkers – Residual Contamination Testing
– Immunogenicity Assays – Stability/Lot Release Testing
– Cell Line Banking – Biosimilars
– Bioanalytical LC-MS/MS and HPLC-UV Analysis
– Custom LC-MC/MS and HPLC-UV: Method Development and Validation Studies
– Residual Nucleic Acid Testing – Sterility/Mycoplasma Testing
– Gene Expression and Biomarker Analysis – Food Safety
Custom Biologics continuously offers jobs for individuals specializing in Biochemistry, Chemistry, Biology, or a closely related discipline. An example of a job offered for a Biochemistry professional is provided below. For further information about the current positions at Custom Biologics visit the website.
- Biotechnology Technician – Etobicoke, Ontario, CA
Custom Biologics occasionally offers a position for a Biotechnology Technician in Etobicoke, Ontario. Responsibilities of a chosen candidate will include but not be limited to performance and documentation of routine maintenance, assistance in the analysis of data, preparation of reports, assistance in setting up and conducting tests and laboratory analyses (biological, microbiological, biochemical assays).
Qualifications for the position include experience in quality control and assurance, laboratory testing and analysis, data analysis and interpretation, as well as basic research skills. Moreover, a suitable candidate should be specialized in Immunology, Cell Biology, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, or a closely related discipline.